Although you're TECHNICALLY defending a tower, this is NOT a Tower Defence game. TD's are generally about protecting a path using towers, not protecting a tower using a character. This would be more in the In-Line Shooter genre.
That, along with rather poor graphics, clunky controls and an in-game shop that just screams for you to use real money makes this one of the worst games published in the TD section of NG... ever!
Headache-inducing sounds made me turn off the sounds alltogether. Nice that the option for that exists, but you shouldn't have to.
The game is so easy that when the power went out and my screen died (but laptop stayed on), I came back and the screen said I won. I literally didn't even control the character and still won.
The game lacks challenge and therefore has no replayability. It's fun for about 1 minute!
Impressive art style, but that's about all it has going for it.
Nothing new or impressive about the play style, no story to judge it by.
It feels rather incomplete, with its clunky controls and inaccurate aiming. Half the time the bullets go through the ghosts/aliens. The zoom effect when you hit the sides of the screen makes me nauseous, because when I move, the reticle goes back towards the character instead of staying where the mouse pointer is, so the screen keeps zooming in and out.
Kinda fun, but what makes it lose the 1.5 stars for me is the following:
Too short, beat it in 15 minutes (0.5 stars)
Upgrades feels like they do little to nothing. It's more the skill of the player and luck of the draw (0.5 stars)
The game punishes you when you get to the end by taking away everything you earned that round (0.5 stars)
There are several things wrong with this game, and I'll try to bring all I could find up:
1) Why would this game need to store things on my computer? That is a big warning sign right there, when it claims to be for offline use on a online-only game.
2) I got redirected 3 times before I could actually play the game. The porting from mobile to web apparently didn't include a proper rework of the ad engine and the ads automatically redirected to unrelated material from another publisher from which I couldn't get back, since Flash Player doesn't include the back button a cell phone has. Each of the ads also wanted to store stuff on my computer for offline use!
3) This game has graphics? I saw something in the corner of my eye, but since the gameplay grabs your focus onto a small gauge at the bottom of the screen and two big, bright buttons on the sides, you can hardly see what is going on in the middle. This could have been fixed by having keyboard controls instead of the mouse.
4) Clearly not reworked at all! Not a single line of code has been changed from the mobile version and it is clear this was never intended for a computer at all. It's a shame, because I believe that this might actually be a good game, if it wasn't for all its flaws and all its flaws could've been fixed if the author had just put the effort into reworking the code when porting it. As it stands now, it just feels like an attempt to get more hits on those ads, with no consideration at all to the gameplay experience.
thanks for the review and the time. I´ll try to answer.
1 offline storage saves levels and highscore. if you want stop playing and come back later you can do it.
2- my bad there. my mistake was putting a cross to ads while the load screen . if you don´t click the ads and wait, there is no redirection. the link is not another publisher, it´s my website.
3. the layout of the game was intended for mobile. portrait layout was the best option. the game has keyboard controls, try with keyboard arrows.
4 . does it need to be ported? you can play it in tablet , phone or desktop from the same source.
the ads are there as a template redirecting to my another game. . this game is made in html5(not flash) . newsground's api doesn´t support html5 ads. so I´m not earning money with my games. and it´s not my goal either. at least for today.
I just want to build this game. It is as I want it to be. looks basic but wasn't simple to do . i'm happy with it anyway. It´s fine for my first atempt.
Thanks for the review again. sorry for my bad english.
Not bad, I really like the concept. With a bit of bughunting, some sounds and ironing out the graphics, I could easily see this one on the Greatest Games list.
You wouldn't happen to still have the source files so you could some day rework it (or possibly release it on GitHub or something so others can rework it)?
You did random generation 2-3 years before it became popular, but since it's popped up into the mainstream now, I believe now is the perfect time to get Genesis v.2 out.
newgrounds.com — Your #1 online entertainment & artist community! All your base are belong to us.